Một số Idioms hay giúp bạn tăng band điểm trong Ielts Speaking
Bài viết hôm nay sẽ bao gồm một số idioms (thành ngữ) hay giúp bạn nâng band điểm trong phần thi Ielts Speaking. Đi kèm theo là những ví dụ giúp bạn có thể hiểu rõ hơn về ngữ cảnh sử dụng của các idioms này nhé.
Tham khảo thêm một số bài viết về Idioms thông dụng trong kỳ thi IELTS:
- be (strictly) for the birds = worthless or ridiculous / not important: dở tệ, không quan trọng
Ví dụ: this journal business is strictly for the birds. It’s a waste of time.
- full of beans = to have a lot of energy or enthusiasm: tràn đầy nhựa sống, tràn đầy năng lượng, phấn chấn.
Ví dụ: I’ve never known anyone be so full of beans before breakfast.
After getting good news, he becomes full of beans.
- pearls of wisdom = wise words or statements: những lời khuyên quý giá.
Ví dụ: It would have been very helpful if those pearls of wisdom had been dropped to us on a regular basis over the past 18 months.
- jump through hoops = to have to do a lot of things that seems difficult or unnecessary in order to achieve something: chịu đựng những thử thách gay go để đạt một việc gì đó/ hoặc là để làm hài lòng người khác.
Ví dụ: My companies will do just about anything to please their young employees. That’s because these employees are valuable. They know technology and are racially diverse, socially interconnected and collaborative. And that’s why businesses are jumping through hoops for them to say.
- can of worms = a situation that causes a lot of problems for you when you start to deal with it: gây ra tình huống rắc rối khó chịu.
Ví dụ: corruption is a serious problem, but nobody has yet been willing to open up that can of worms.
I don’t think her plan will work. It seems like kind of a can of worms to me.
- stand/stick out like a sore thumb = if someone/something stands/sticks out like a sore thumb, everyone notices them because they are very different from the people or things around them.
Ví dụ: Everyone else was in jeans and T-shirts and I had my office clothes on- I stuck out like a sore thumb.
- be a good egg = a likeable person: người tử tế, đáng tin cậy
Ví dụ: She is a good egg. She is willing to help others.
- Babe in the woods = a person who is innocent or who lacks experience: người khờ dại, người cả tin
Ví dụ: Although Jane had always excelled in school, she felt like a babe in the woods when she began attending college.
- easy as falling off a log = very easy: rất dễ
Ví dụ: The test was easy as falling off a log.
- turn over a new leaf = to change your behavior in a positive way: thay đổi thái độ theo hướng tích cực.
Ví dụ: She turned over a new leaf and began getting to work on time.
Chúc các bạn thi tốt trong kỳ thi sắp tới!